[OSM-dev] Conflict management

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Wed Mar 19 18:34:44 GMT 2008

My gut feeling is that what troubles people in conflict area most is
that when they look at a map from the first entry, they see the labels
of the other party instead of their own.
If the possibility would be built into the general map at
www.openstreetmap.org to detect the browser language and show the render
for that particular language, half the problems would be gone.

The problems are probably not with the map editing people, they will
have the open-source mentality, it will probably pop up when they are
showing the map to their public and the audience freaks out on the names
from the opposite party showing up first, before theirs.

So, enhancing the main map on www.openstreetmap.org with language
detection and/or language selection and setting up rendering for
different languages might do the trick. Or am I completely wrong?