[OSM-dev] [OSM] Informations about osmarender for Google SoC

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 13:00:37 GMT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Mario <fadinlight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all again! :)
>
> As Sebastian told me, I'm writing in the dev list (for 80n to reply ;))
> for more informations about Osmarender.
>
> Before I can deeply and technically explore what can I do, I wish to ask
> you some general questions.
>
> It's not very clear to me what "osmarender frontend" should be directed
> to:
>
> 1) Should it be:
> a) A dedicated Java application?
> b) A dedicated (AJAX?) webapp frontend?
> c) A JOSM's plugin improvement
> (
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/josm/dist/osmarender.jar
> )?
> d) An Osmabrowser improvement
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmabrowser)?
> e)... Something else... :)

Short answer: whatever you are most comfortable with, as long as it gets the
job done.

A lot of the look and feel is determined by css, so you might want to
consider something that already does a nice job of rendering and editing css
stylesheets.

> 2) Should it be somewhat integrated with Clopin?

No, I think Clopin is irrelevant.  Its certainly not important.

> 3) If it should be integrated in JOSM could/should/would we use Batik
> for SVG preview in JASM itself? I've read that there could be some
> problem with it
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Howto#Batik).<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Howto#Batik%29.>..
> but
> a real-time preview in the frontend could be really cool :)

JOSM is directed towards editing nodes, ways and relations.  For the
Osmarender frontend you want to be editing rules and styles.  Not sure that
JOSM helps much with that.

> 4) And obviously I'm asking if you have got already some ideas about
> what the frontend should do or should look like. I've already some
> ideas, but I can focus them only when I'll explore more techies about
> osmarender.

1) I'd imagine something that has a test .osm file and a complete rules file
as input.  It should then display the rendered test file and provide a way
for the user to change the styling of any element (motorway, footway, river,
building, etc).  It should then emit a modified rules file.  Once you have a
solution that can edit styles, you'd then need to be able to add/remove/edit
rules.  This is a different kind of activity from editing styles.

It might be worth looking to see what can be done with Inkscape plugins.

2) Another approach would be to augment some generated svg with javascript
and build a style/rule editing app that runs in a browser.  This would
probably be a bit more work than using, say, Inkscape, but could be a nice
lightweight solution.