[OSM-dev] [OSM] Informations about osmarender for Google SoC

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 27 12:01:47 GMT 2008

Hi,

> I disagree with this point of view. In nearly all cases, if there is a
> place outside the map, I don't want half of it's label on my map.
> There's no point making a custom map if it is that crude. There is one
> obscure exception, that only doesn't seem obscure because it's
> about all
> we do at the moment, and that is where you are rendering a map in
> sections that have match perfectly at the edges across the whole world
> when they tile (tiles at home). 99% of maps are not tiled, they just
> show a single area. Being able to not show half of names cut off
> should
> be one of the advantages of generating a digital map from OSM data,
> rather than cropping an image of a pre-rendered map.

Right, I was thinking too much in the tiles at home direction where this
is a must. - Still, clipping is difficult to do right; imagine a
triangular forest area, one node of which lies inside your bbox. You
do want the part of the forest on your map, don't you? So you must
find the intersections of the forest with your bounding box and
insert additional nodes along the border of the bbox in exchange for
those outside that you drop.

Bye
Frederik