[OSM-dev] [OSM] Informations about osmarender for Google SoC

Martijn Pannevis openstreetmap at panman.nl
Wed Mar 26 10:48:58 GMT 2008

I'm really in favor of having an easier way of getting maps in different
styles.
However, I do have one question: The current discussion seems to lean
towards Osmarender. Personally I'd rather see a Mapnik style editor. I
do realize that serving maps with different styles takes computing power
on the server end, rather than on the client end, but I do think that a
setup where custom maps are generated on a server makes more sense: Also
because larger map sets will usually be served from some server,
generating them on the server for me makes more sense.
Maybe I'm missing things here, and can Osmarender also be used with
stuff like tilecache, or the styleformats are interchangable (Not that I
know off), but otherwise personally I'd rather see a mapnik frontend
than an osmarender one.
Anyone has some insight in the advantages of using osmarender for custom
tiles?
Kind Regards,
Martijn Pannevis.