[OSM-dev] Altitude data & (cycle) route profiles

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Wed Mar 26 22:20:21 GMT 2008

Hi there,

I would to participatie in the Google Summer of Code and contribute to
OpenStreetMap. There are several projects on the wiki that I consider
interesting, but I'll start with asking some questions about the Cycle Route
Profiles.

First of all, what do you mean by profile? A figure that has the distance on
one axes and the elevation on the other? Or are you (also) looking for a
criterion that tells how 'hard' a certain route is?

My first thought on roughly how to tackle this project is like this:

* import data
** figure out a suitable database structure
** write script to get the zip files from the NASA server and put their
contents in the database
* calculate profile
** for each point along a route, find the nearest elevation information
(perhaps some interpolation)
** (optional) calculate a score for the route
* visualize profile
* integrate with the rest of the site

The data resolution outside the US is about 100 meters. Do you think
performance will be a major factor here?

Also I noticed a discussion about whether or not to use the (inaccurate) GPS
elevation data. As a second phase in the project, might it be interesting to
see how this data compares to the NASA data?

Kind regards,

Sjors