[OSM-dev] Altitude data & (cycle) route profiles

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Thu Mar 27 22:39:04 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Sjors Provoost <sjors at sprovoost.nl> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I would to participatie in the Google Summer of Code and contribute to
> OpenStreetMap. There are several projects on the wiki that I consider
> interesting, but I'll start with asking some questions about the Cycle Route
> Profiles.

Well, I have decided to focus only on this project. I have read some more
material and I have submitted a proposal.

I will give a very short summary here, but please let me know if you want me
to send the longer version over this list.

I would like to create an altitude profile in two different ways.

The first is based on the freely available NASA SRTM altitude data. Its
horizontal resolution outside the United States is about 100 meters.

The second one is based on the GPS tracking data. Altitude data from these
devices is known to be quite inaccurate, but if more data is combined it may
still yield a useful result.

My core objectives / deliverables are:
import SRTM data as nodes (points) in OSM, for Australia
estimate the altitude of each node in Australia from the SRTM nodes
display (on the fly) an altitude profile given a route (a sequence of nodes)
estimate the altitude of each node in Australia from nearby GPS traces
analyze the difference between both methods

Secondary goals, if time permits:
apply to the whole planet
calculate a measure of uncertainty for the altitude of each node
find a way to combine the estimates based on GPS and SRTM

I am certainly not a professional programmer, but I do have experience with
a geographical database with data contributed from different (human)
sources. For my graduation research I created The Ducks On Rails, which
visualizes duck migration data: http://ducks.sprovoost.nl/

It would be great if I can get some feedback on my proposal before the
deadline, so I can improve upon it.

Kind regards,

Sjors