[OSM-dev] mod_tile help

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:59:51 BST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Arindam Ghosh <makghosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am having a small problem with mod_tile. Having installed it
>  properly, and providing the values suitable to local environment in
>  render_config.h, I fired up "renderd". But its' giving following error
>  messages.
>
>  # ./renderd
>  Rendering daemon
>  Unable to open font directory: /usr/local/lib64/mapnik/fonts
>  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'mapnik::config_error'
>   what():  /home/jburgess/osm/svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm-local-fast-sphere.xml:
>  cannot open file
>  Aborted
>
>  It seems that somewhere the paths are hardcoded but i can't find in
>  which config file. Note that presently, mapnik can retrieve data from
>  the gis postgresql database and generate the tiles anywhere i like
>  them to on my dev-box. I have installed mapnik by rebuilding the srpm
>  on Fedora 8. And also i have imported the slovak.osm file only for
>  test purposes in my gis database using osm2pgsql. I couldn't find
>  whether "renderd" can take any options since -h/--help doesn't work.
>
>  please help :)

Here's my notes on compiling mod_tile. This is for Ubuntu 8.04,
mod_tile svn as of three weeks ago, and your mileage may vary, but
these notes have been tested twice through on clean VMs.:

=====================================
cd ~
svn checkout [http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/mod_tile]

cd mod_tile

nano Makefile <--- line 2 change to /usr/bin/apxs2 and line 13 APXS = apxs2
nano gen_tile.cpp <--- *line40 change mapfile path to
/home/osm/mapnik/osm.xml *change lib64 to lib on 219,221 *block mutex
with // on 141,160
nano render_config.h <--- *line8 change to /var/www
make
sudo make install

nano mod_tile.conf <-- change path to /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_tile.so
sudo cp mod_tile.conf /etc/apache2/mods-available/
cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/
sudo ln \-s ../mods-available/mod_tile.conf mod_tile.conf

sudo mkdir /var/www/osm_tiles2
sudo mkdir /var/www/direct
sudo chmod a+w /var/www/osm_tiles2/ /var/www/direct/

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart