[OSM-dev] The future of Potlatch

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Fri May 2 13:51:30 BST 2008

On 2 May 2008, at 10:52, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> From what Richard said it implies to me that any new editor would be
> open source, but you'd have to ask CloudMade.. who as yet haven't
> actually made any statement at all on the whole issue... probably a
> sensible plan of action given your post.

Yeah to make clear a few things

* It would be very stupid of us to do anything like this not open source
* I am actually evil and have a white cat

Also to broaden the debate a bit - one area potlatch can improve a
lot, and something we want to help, is editing existing data. Go to a
random area of the US and try using Potlatch to improve TIGER data,
especially in non-street-grid areas. You'll quickly figure out some
things it could do. I asked Richard for the thicker nodes / ways and
this has improved it somewhat (because you're no longer accidentally
dragging the background rather than nodes all the time).

Best

Steve