[OSM-dev] The future of Potlatch

Yann yann.hamon at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:01:49 BST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk>
wrote:

> 2008/5/2 Yann <yann.hamon at gmail.com>:
>
> > Well, a couple of questions.
> > - Is cloudmade the same company with which SteveC tried to put
> > advertising on openstreetmap a year ago, putting it online without asking
> > anybody before, arguing it was because of money issue which proved wrong
> > after a couple of weeks?
> > - Is this flash applet going to be opensource, and made available for
> > development to the community, or closed source, giving that company control
> > over openstreetmap and the way data gets entered?
> >
> > I've been happy using potlach so far - not sure why a new version is
> > needed: any thread pointing this out anywhere?
> >
> > You get the idea. Imho stevec is trying to turn osm into his commercial
> > game *again*, and to be honest it's quite tiring. Oh right, but
> > "openstreetmap ain t communists like wikipedia".
> >

> Nice over-reaction there Yann.
>
> I think Richard pointed out why a new version of Potlatch is wanted:
> "Potlatch is written in ActionScript 1, [...]. The latest version is
> ActionScript 3, [...]. CloudMade believes this is holding back the
> development of OSM [...]: more Flash designers would come to work on it,
> resulting in a better editor". Whether you believe that's true is another
> matter, personally I'd tend to agree to some extent, and if I was investing
> money in a codebase I'd want it to be as maintainable as possible, which
> probably means something other than AS1.

You're right, I may have slightly overreacted - sorry list, I'll remember
not to post at 3 in the morning after coming from the pub :)
It's still very important that the API stays open imho, and that the choice
is proposed when you click on the "edit" button - would be pretty close to
the way the wikipedia search works
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=&go=Go (choice is given
between mediawiki's default search, and other proprietary searches on third
party websites).

Yann