[OSM-dev] The future of Potlatch

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri May 2 17:11:34 BST 2008

>  The key aspect of this that prefers AS1 over AS3 is that ... we can do
>  it! :) Open Source tools are used in the compilation of Potlatch, and so
>  long as that is the case, we have the ability to do fancy setups like
>  this without having to worry about Adobe chasing us down with license
>  fees :)

Adobe do both a free (as in beer) Flex SDK, and an open source (under
MPL) Flex SDK. The bits that are missing from from the MPL version
look to be the player, and the AIR env. All the compilers and
debuggers look to be included.
You only have to pay anything if you want the Flex Builder IDE.

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Downloads

So the problem with AS3 is open source playback rather than open
source development.