[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - same story

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon May 5 11:06:58 BST 2008

In message <20080505074600.GB4302 at jafshome.irule.be>
          bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:

> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:49:37AM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > The hackathon has been in the wiki for a while now. We had the major
> > potlatch/JOSM/API coders all there. It's all change monitoring and
>
> And this is exactly my point : I am using the API in Merkaartor
> probably just as much as JOSM. Sure, it has no way near the impact of
> JOSM or potlatch. But really, would a few mails on dev@ hurt really
> that much to help api writers who are not 'major'?

The hackathon was deliberately kept a little low key I believe as
we wanted to keep the number of people turning up to a manageable
number otherwise nothing gets done.

> In fact, if OSM as a project is interested in attracting novel
> ways of interacting with the API (still the goal, yes?) it should
> focus on making the project accessible for the _minor_ coders
> rather than for the established coders who are less likely to do
> groundbreaking stuff.

The API is not going to change without giving people a reasonable
amount of notice.

The code isn't even complete yet, and then I have to start thinking
about deployment issues and scheduling the necessary downtime which
will need notice itself. All in all it is going to take a number of
weeks before anything happens.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)