[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon May 5 14:49:51 BST 2008

2008/5/5 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net>:
>  I seriously doubt *that*. Sure it would have appeared sometime this
>  week, so not as early, but it would have appeared here early enough.

As I mentioned to bvh, I read that page properly for the first time
today and decided to update it. That he added that line about the dev
list yesterday I had no idea. I figured I'd update the page since I
wrote a lot of the stuff the first time, on the whiteboard.

>  While I do know that some stuff seems to be decided behind closed doors
>  it is simply more efficient to get a few developers in one room for a
>  weekend, than discussing stuff for weeks on end on a mailing list.

It was productive precisely because we had all the experts on hand to
ask "will X cause a problem?". That's how we came to the realisation
that an API jump was the right thing to do.

>  I much rather think the discussion shows that everybody who was there at
>  the meet fully intended to document what they decided, but simply didn't
>  have the time yet to do so.

Quite, and now that it is reasonably documented, we can start the
discussion. Some people on IRC have made helpful suggestions already.

Have a nice day,