[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Mon May 5 14:49:43 BST 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:48:51AM -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Based on my reading, there is only one aspect of the changes in the API
> that forces backwards incompabitibility: the requirement for the client
> to generate a changeset before uploading and provide that changeset
> identifier.

That and the version number stuff I guess, but there you can apply
the same solution : just assume the correct one if none is provided.

It might also be nice to think about contingency measures :
afaik there is really no reliable way for a client to know that
his request is on an out-of-date api or if it is just some
temporary problem.

The least we can do is adding a status request that specifies
which versions the server accepts so that clients can give a
helpfull message kind of 'the server currently only accepts
API version 0.7 but your copy of JOSM/merkaartor is built to
function with 0.6 only. please visit http://... for information
on how to upgrade.'

This could already be done before 0.6 comes into play?

cu bart