[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:51:47 BST 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM, bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:

> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:48:51AM -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > Based on my reading, there is only one aspect of the changes in the API
> > that forces backwards incompabitibility: the requirement for the client
> > to generate a changeset before uploading and provide that changeset
> > identifier.
>
> That and the version number stuff I guess, but there you can apply
> the same solution : just assume the correct one if none is provided.

+1

Unless someone thinks that 2,000 (guesstimate) JOSM users will all upgrade
simultaneously, then it would be unwise to just switch from 0.5 to 0.6
overnight.

It would be very prudent to support both versions of the API concurrently
for a period of, say, 3 or 4 months.  This gives everyone the time to
upgrade at their leisure with plenty of warning about the 0.5 drop dead
date.  It also gives time for any issues to be ironed out of the 0.6 API
without bringing the whole project to a grinding halt.

80n