[OSM-dev] 0.6

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Tue May 6 17:18:03 BST 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:25 AM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> Without reference to the ongoing debate or the changeset stuff,
>
> is there anything else that should be put in 0.6? Probably a good idea
> to talk about it now.
>
> Best
>
> Steve

Well, it's probably too big of a change for the next API change, but it
would be nice to get a native polygon primitive. I understand it used to
exist but was removed because nobody was using it. (!) It would be nice to
have this because it would allow us to deal with polygons in a generic way
without having to know which tags on a way indicate a polygon. It also
allows us to enforce that the polygon be closed (last node == first node).
I'm thinking specifically of tile cutting where a polygon needs to be
managed differently than a simple line. Without a specific polygon type, any
tool dealing with them will have to be updated to track changes in polygon
tagging. This doesn't strictly need a new primitive; it could be
accomplished by requiring a tag such as "polygon=yes" or whatever on a way
which should be designated as a polygon. However, that method doesn't really
allow us to enforce polygon-ness (closed way) at the API. Also, there
wouldn't need to be a mandatory changeover; data could be migrated over
time.

So, I'm sure I'll be shouted down, but I'll gladly listen to reasoned
arguments.

Sincerely,

Karl