[OSM-dev] Stable, professional OSM - no thanks (was: 0.6 api - one more time)

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Sun May 11 06:07:28 BST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:05:28PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Look at how fossilized big projects like Debian have become, where
> every slightest move requires ages just because they want to be
> stable, professional, respect the established user base and so on.

That is a strawman. No one has seriously proposed anything like the
bureacrazy of Debian. For example with the OSM 0.6 API there was
a concrete proposal to make it backwards compatible that seems
not difficult to implement and would mean a whole lot of convienence
of for our users..

We all agree we (as developers) should make life easier for the most
important resource of the project, the folksmappers. Part of that
is providing them with exciting and new features and possibilities
like roll-back and conflict avoidance. But part also not have them
jump through hoops unnecessary.

cu bart