[OSM-dev] Stable, professional OSM - no thanks (was: 0.6 api - one more time)

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun May 11 11:58:54 BST 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 7:07 AM, bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:
> That is a strawman. No one has seriously proposed anything like the
> bureacrazy of Debian. For example with the OSM 0.6 API there was
> a concrete proposal to make it backwards compatible that seems
> not difficult to implement and would mean a whole lot of convienence
> of for our users..

Instead there's a concrete proposal to do forward compatability in the
tools instead which is much easier and in the process of happening.

Thinking about it, I don't think we want to have this change go
unnoticed. We're moving from a system where everybody has access to a
shared drive and can change just about anything, to a system that
resembles a version control system. It is something I think we want
people to be aware of and I think it's OK to require them to tick a
box to say "I understand".

I also don't think it's unreasonable to require users to upgrade tools
every few months.

> But part also not have them
> jump through hoops unnecessary.

Which particular hoops are you worried about?

Have a nice day,