[OSM-dev] api06 change: report_error

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon May 12 00:21:55 BST 2008

report_error is currently used to report errors with the /map? API call.
Recently, with the Export tab, I've had some users confused by the fact
that their map call is not returning any data. This is because the
report_error call has a render :nothing => true, and puts the error text
in the header.

In addition to reporting the error through the header, I'd like to
suggest hat starting with the 0.6 API, we also report the text through
the data of the error, so that it shows up in things like curl/browsers.

You can see this change in action:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/map?bbox=-180,-90,-179,-89
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/map?bbox=-180,-90,-179,-89

Feedback on any clients that this might break is welcome.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta