[OSM-dev] Newby question

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon May 12 15:51:48 BST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Shaun McDonald
<shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:

>  On 12 May 2008, at 15:13, Alex Wilson wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I'm new to this mailing list but have been following the good work
>  > at OSM for a while and have been very heartened by the project's
>  > growth. I have a simple question: I'm interested in the relative
>  > runtime of the sub-components of the Osmarender-based tile
>  > generation process. Specifically the relative time for running the
>  > Osmarender code itself (the XSLT+Perl) versus rendering the
>  > resultant svg as a tile? I am presuming the former is a small
>  > proportion of the total runtime whilst the svg rendering dominates?
>  >
>  > If not, I was wondering if there's any interest in developing a
>  > version of the code in a compiled language for efficiency reasons?
>
>  Take a look at mapnik. I think that it does what your looking for. The
>  problems that I know of with Mapnik are that it can take a bit to
>  setup, and you can't do incremental updates of the database that it
>  works off (hence why there are only weekly updates to the map).

Although if you're only interested in small sections of data
retrievable with an api map call then there is no reason you couldn't
download the data T at H style, and import to postgis/shape and render
using mapnik. This would all happen very quickly -- probably faster
than the T at H equivalent (I haven't tested, so I couldn't guarantee
that).

Dave