[OSM-dev] Thanks

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 12 22:18:17 BST 2008

Hi,

> > If you're really adventurous then re-implement the whole server API in
> > C++ - it's not a big deal, you can leave the UI stuff in Rails, just get
> > the stuff from
>
> Is this an *open* thing? I'm serious.
>
> I mean... if a random user would write something like the OSM API in a
> random database, that could seriously be evaluated?!

I'm pretty sure it would.

Until now we have had many people tell us that everything could be
faster if implemented in "X", but as far as I can tell we never had
anyone say "look I implemented everything in X and it is 10 times
faster".

Of course we always have to take into account how manageable something
is for the community. Rails is very manageable, but performs less than
stellar. A C++ API based on a popular SQL database would, I assume,
perform almost stellar but be a little less manageable (old-fashioned
guy that I am I'd trade in Rails for C++ any time but I know some of
the more modern-minded people are doubtful - maybe the holy grail is
somewhere in between, Rails reportedly has very good support for
linking in bits of C code).

If someone where to re-write the API in an obscure language with a
database system that's hardly used in the OS community, and achieve
10 times better performance than we have, then I don't know whether
that would be adopted - after all we need developers for the API and
it's no good to throw rocks in their path by selecting too obscure
technology. But then again, there will come a time when we will need
the 10 times better performance, so who knows ;-)

Bye
Frederik