[OSM-dev] Thanks

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue May 13 00:37:34 BST 2008

In message <44d06e000805121429w664d2588ofb745c736b5e27a9 at mail.gmail.com>
          "Alex Wilson" <alex_wilson at pobox.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't plan to touch the back-end DB (is it MySQL atm?) - just write a
> for-comparison C++ API - and if it's not faster, or it's considerably more
> obfuscated and harder to maintain, then it can be left to decompose quietly,
> unused... ;-)

It is MySQL yes.

> I think the task is something sufficiently straightforward that the C++ can
> be made very user-friendly and pretty easy to maintain. I think we'll have a
> look at developing the Apache module and you can all see what you think
> if/when it's done...

I would certainly hope to see well structured and easy to maintain code ;-)

It's not all about straight line speed either, it's also about things
like memory consumption as the current API is absolutely horrible in
that regard which severely limits the number of requests we can process
at a time.

So think about how you can generate the results for a map call and
return them to a client while holding as little state as possible in
memory if you want to do a good job.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)