[OSM-dev] Newby question

Tue May 13 07:51:57 BST 2008

Alex Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list but have been following the good work at
> OSM for a while and have been very heartened by the project's growth. I
> have a simple question: I'm interested in the relative runtime of the
> sub-components of the Osmarender-based tile generation process.
> Specifically the relative time for running the Osmarender code itself
> (the XSLT+Perl) versus rendering the resultant svg as a tile? I am
> presuming the former is a small proportion of the total runtime whilst
> the svg rendering dominates?

usually the rendering of an SVG into PNGs with either Inkscape or Batnik
take longest. Also downloading the data from the API takes its time
(although it's not the bottleneck anymore, I think). I would be
surprised if the XSLT/perl part would account for more than 20% of the
time or so.

But hey, if you come up with a cool system to save even more time, you
are welcome to try...

spaetz