[OSM-dev] Thanks

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue May 13 09:00:15 BST 2008

In message <1210636352.31114.87.camel at localhost.localdomain>
        Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering whether the gpx_import code would be a valid target for
> improvement? I know people complain fairly often that the importer is
> backlogged. The code itself seems to be fairly straight forward and has
> well defined input & outputs.

That is certainly something that could be rewritten in a compiled
language for efficiency, yes.

There is quite a bit of scope for improving the ruby code I suspect
if only by using libxml2 to parse the trace instead of rexml. That
said, given the stability of the ruby libxml2 bindings a rewrite
in C might be better ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)