[OSM-dev] Thanks

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue May 13 09:07:35 BST 2008

In message <4B7E27B7-EFFA-4B1E-97B7-D7685CA3A370 at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>
        Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:

> Would it be possible to run, say 3 daemons/threads at the same time,
> so that 3 gps tracks would be imported at the same time. This would
> mean that if someone uploaded one big trace, then it wouldn't cause
> too much of a backlog, as other traces would be able to be uploaded at
> the same time.

Sure it's possible, but it would need some work, and I suspect
there are easier ways to speed it up for now.

> Some adjustment to the code would be required, such as noting that the
> traces has been taken for import by one of the daemons.

It's worse than that, as the daemon effectively caches a list of
traces which need doing at the moment.

The other issue with doing more that one at once is the resource
requirements in terms of CPU time, disk I/O, memory, etc.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/