[OSM-dev] 0.6 API clarifications and corrections

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Wed May 14 18:52:02 BST 2008

While implementing the 0.6 api clientside, I found out two areas
where the wiki documentation of the 0.6 api is not clear or diverges
from the implemented reality.

- When updating or deleting an object, the wiki
says you need to include an attribute old_version with the version
on which you base the changes (opportunistic locking).
The server however looks for a tag named "version" and not
"old_version".

I shall change the wiki to reflect this.

- When creating, updating or deleting a single object the wiki
says that you need to add the changeset and old_version attributes
but does not state on which tag. crschmidt and me agreed on IRC
that

* the changeset attribute should be on the osm tag
* the version attribute should be on the object tag

a well formed request should then start with

<osm version="0.6" changeset="x">
<way id="y" version="z" ...

Note the two different meanings of version. On the osm tag it is
the osm API version, on the way tag it is the version on which
you base the way.

If there is no opposition to this change, I will clarify this in
the wiki.

Thanks to crschmidt for helping me with this.

cu bart