[OSM-dev] 0.6 API clarifications and corrections

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 15 10:31:13 BST 2008

Hi,

>>> But isn't old_version+1 always equal to version?

>> Under the current plan, yes. We didn't think it was reasonable to
>> push that assumption down to the clients thought.

> Why would that be unreasonable? In what (futuristic) scenario would
> version numbers not increment monotonically one by one?

In the current scenario, you are basically not allowed to upload a new
version of an object if you haven't got the previous version.

This is unnecessarily strict.

For example, two people could download version 1 of a node; one adds the
foo tag, another adds the bar tag, both upload. With the plans for API
0.6, one of the uploads will simply fail.

In theory, both uploads could be accepted without conflict, and we would
then have one change that goes from v1 to v2, and one change that goes
from v1 to v3.

It is also possible to change the same object multiple times within the
same changeset, so one single changeset might catapult the object
version from 1 to 15.

Bye
Frederik