[OSM-dev] DELETE + body not commonly implemented

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu May 15 11:54:44 BST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:53:13AM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Christopher Schmidt
> <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> > One of the bigger changes in the 0.6 API from an implementation
> > perspective for clients may well be the use of a content body on DELETE
> > requests. kleptog found that to be the most difficult part of
> > implementing the changeset/versioning support for JOSM, I think, and I
> > think that a number of libraries may make this more difficult than one
> > would first assume, since DELETE+body is rather unusual.
>
> On the JOSM list it was mentioned that this problem vanishes once you
> have diff uploads since all the changes fold into one call: PUT /map

Yeah, I had thought of that as well. It kinda makes me twitch that we're
looking at two different ways of doing the same thing being available,
but no more so than anything else :)

> > What HTTP libraries are people using to talk to OSM? Do they easily
> > support DELETE with content body?
>
> I'd like to know the answer to this. Are there any other libraries
> similarly crippled? I know Perl's LWP isn't, but what else?

As far as I know:
 * XMLHttpRequest is fine (JS)
 * httplib is fine -- no hardcoded methods at all (Python)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta