[OSM-dev] 0.6 API clarifications and corrections

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 15 17:45:01 BST 2008

Hi,

> Out of interest, why's that a bad thing? We have several editors, for
> example: each of them works differently and presents information
> differently. Why do we have to have One True Rollback?

We have enough trouble as it is with the small number of editors we
have. I'm all for diversity and user choice but I'm prepared to accept
limits to diversity where it seems sensible to me, and this is a point
where it seems sensible.

> I can foresee ways in which different "collapsing" methods could be of
> benefit - for example, one rollback tool might want to visualise (via
> animation) consecutive edits within a particular changeset to see what
> the user was doing.

That's none of your business what I was doing ;-) "oh look, that must
have been one of Fred's drunken edit sessions, let's watch that
animation again..."

If you are really interested in that kind of detail, load individual
object histories or the minutely change files. A changeset, to me,
should be like an SVN commit: I check stuff out, then I make umpteen
edits using my favourite editor, then I check stuff in with a commit
message. A changeset is *not* intended to be a video recording of what
happened on the user's desktop between point A and point B.

Bye
Frederik