[OSM-dev] Request for Windows support

Jonas Svensson jonass at lysator.liu.se
Sun May 18 11:28:27 BST 2008

On 17 May 2008 at 19:21, Fire Girl wrote:

> Hi! :-)  I have been having some degree of difficulty pulling data
> in from a planet file.  I would like to get the data in a usable
> format that is open for interpretation.  But I want to do this on a
> Windows XP machine.  Can someone point me to a good tutorial file or
> explain which toolsets I should download to accomplish this feat?
> :-) Thank you so much,  kindly, FireG.

Hi,
What is it that you want to do with the data? Most unzippers (like
bzip2 <http://www.digistar.com/bzip2/> and izarc
<http://www.izarc.org/> can unzip the planet file, unless there are
a problem with the size. After unzipping the file is a plain text
file in xml-format which is possible to read with any editor that
is able to cope with the size of the file.

If you want to import the data into a database like sql-server then
maybe someone else can help you. If you wish to render map images,
you could read
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Howto> and then
try again with more questions.

/Jonas S