[OSM-dev] Request for Windows support

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun May 18 11:44:14 BST 2008

2008/5/18 Fire Girl <firegirl at amorous.com>:
> Hi! :-)  I have been having some degree of difficulty pulling data in from a
> planet file.  I would like to get the data in a usable format that is open
> for interpretation.  But I want to do this on a Windows XP machine.  Can
> someone point me to a good tutorial file or explain which toolsets I should
> download to accomplish this feat? :-) Thank you so much,  kindly, FireG.

You need bzip2 to unpack the file, though apparently 7zip can read it
also. However, it is not recommended to unpack the files since they're
HUGE unpacked (>80GB).

The question is what you want with the data once its unpacked. Most
programs in OSM can read the compressed files directly. It's is also
advisable to pick an extract of the world that covers the area you're
interested in.

Have a nice day,