[OSM-dev] diff upload in 0.6

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:04:13 BST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:24 PM, bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:
> So, I am looking at implementing a client diff upload. I have a few questions
>
> * when a diff contains 6 changes and the 3th has a problem (outdated version number),
> will change 1 and 2 happen? Will change 4, 5 and 6 happen if they are not problematic?

Nope, the whole point is that its atomic. Either it all works, or none
of it does.

> * must integrity only be satisfied at the end of all the changes or also at each step.
> For example a diff that contains two changes : delete node X, update way A to remove
> node X. While integrity is satisfied at the end of the complete diff, it is not
> after the first delete. Is this allowed?

No, it must be valid at each point (if the database could do deferred
constraint checks it might be feasable, but there's no point
supporting it anyway IMHO).

> * depending on the answer of the above questions is it possible to get feedback on
> where exactly the diff upload had a problem when there is a 412 error?

The intention was to have some kind of program-readable description of
the failure, though we didn't think of a specific implementation. Feel
free to suggest something.

Have a nice day,