[OSM-dev] C++ implementation of the API

Joachim Zobel jzobel at heute-morgen.de
Wed May 21 22:45:45 BST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 21.05.2008, 11:14 +0100 schrieb Alex Wilson:
> Further to earlier discussion on this list, I've been looking into
> writing a C++ version of the OSM API server. When discussing this
> before, it was suggested that an Apache module would be the best way
> to plug such an API into the OSM server. Just out of interest: what
> are the advantages of a standalone Apache module versus a plugin
> module to Ruby that uses the existing codebase to parse the urls etc
> but calls out to the C++ api to do the heavy lifting?

As far as I can see mod_ruby does not give you access to the apache API.
Writing a native Apache module does. Once you know what this means you
know its a big difference.

I am however not shure if this is useful for writing an OSM API server.
The reasons for writing an apache module is that its truly multi
platform (TM), that it has a small memory footprint, that it can do HTTP
and network stuff that can not be done otherwise and that it can do in-
and output filtering.

Writing Apache modules in C is hard, and I don't think using mod_cpp
will make it much easier. Doing Apache modules in Perl (mod_perl has API
access including filters) is a lot easier. For modules using the C API
read Nick Kews book (ISBN 9780132409674).

Sincerly,
Joachim