[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] OSM support in KDE's Marble

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Wed May 21 18:31:55 BST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 05:40:07PM +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Well Y! would be hard as you would have to embed a web browser or
> > something as you can only access the images via Javascript or Flash.
> Really?  How can they prevent us from downloading the tiles directly?

Technically you are correct, Downloading tiles directly from yahoo
is easy. In fact they appear to do none of the tricks they could be
doing to make life a little bit more difficult.

That said...

There is bigger legal hurdle : OSM wants to comply as much as possible
with the wishes of Y! to reduce the likelyhood that a nasty trial
would spoil our data with things that we could not legally derive from...

> On the other hand, Qt has very good javascript support, so I think that would
> be possible even without a web browser.

Given how wonderfull the QtWebKit interface is to do this kind of
thing, I think it is the best way forward for any Qt based project.

cu bart