[OSM-dev] C++ implementation of the API

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun May 25 14:33:16 BST 2008

Hi,

> Would it not be better to think about new services that could be offered
> by OSM rather than putting a lot of effort into fixing something that is
> not broken?

While I agree that one should not over-engineer and try to be prepared
for everything, if ONE thing is sure then that is a steadily (or
explosively?) rising user base who will demand some kind of database
access. It is just prudent to think about how we'll handle 10 times
the load that we have today, instead of waiting until we have that
load and then start complaining.

> Suggestions would be WMS, WFS, i18n, custom layer support, or some sort of
> support where the OSM DB can be integrated well with a GIS. Not all of
> this would have to run off the writable database...

Anything that does not require a writable database can be run by third
parties without even talking to our central API, so you're welcome to
implement any of these.

Bye
Frederik