[OSM-dev] New Kid on this Block

Arnie Shore 3ashore at Comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 17:34:32 GMT 2008

Hello all.  Let me tell you a bit re what I'm doing (he sez, as though
he really knows!) and invite suggestions.

I've written a free open source computer-aided dispatch application,
targeted to teams/agencies with zero budgets for software of this
nature.  (It's Tickets by name, and with a demonstration/download site
at http://www.saefern.org/tickets/  - in addition to SourceForge.)  It's
built using the usual open source suspects, PHP and MySql.   Of special
relevance here is that I've included Google Maps as the geo-spatial
component.  Justification for the latter is, not surprisingly, its zero
cost, ubiquity, and convenience - as well as its capabilities.

Now I want to port Tickets to a mapping base that wd allow its use in
situation where - at least temporarily - there's no Internet access;
the maps/tiles/images wd need storage and accessibility at the web
server.  (Client browser and server are readily configured onto a single
box, of course.)  Certainly, OSM's open Source aspect is especially
attractive, given all of the above.

Tickets can/is deployed where there's limited mapping available, but I
expect that users - many of them ham radio enthusiasts - might be
willing to spend some effort in developing the kinds of map information
appropriate to their particular situations. From what I see on this
list, there's no shortage of tools and advice to help them do so.  This
might be a particularly positive aspect in such an  implementation,
although possiblY more than countered by the possible lack of immediate
availability.

Th - th - th - that's it folks.  Comments and suggestions invited, and
certainly from anyone who's undertaken a similar task.

Arnie Shore
Annapolis, MD