[OSM-dev] Lean and mean Tile- and XML-API-Server

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Fri Nov 21 14:06:48 GMT 2008

Matt Amos wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
>> Matt Amos wrote:
>>> "premature optimisation is the root of all evil" ;-)
>> A premature optimisation would be starting with integers, C, and more.
>
> premature optimisation would be writing something in C(++) when it
> isn't the bottleneck.

I hear a different thing when I browse on this list about ruby memory
usage :)

> the database is currently the bottleneck and i'm pretty sure they
> already wrote that in C :-)

The database that is used in production isn't the most efficient one too
;) So that is also optimised ;)

>> Now
>> even I implemented a relatively 'old' API (0.5) and started with doubles ;)
>> Last night I introduced a comparison table with the 2^32/360 stuff. To see
>> there is 10ms improvement per bbox request ;)
>
> what was %age gain? i mean, if its a 10ms improvement on a 500ms call
> then it might not be such a big deal. if its a 10ms gain on an 11ms
> call that would be fantastic.

Double: 50~100ms
Integer: 40~80ms

But the calltrace revealed in both search situation more optimisations
where possible.

> don't forget that the rails port also handles user management,
> friends, messages, diaries, gps points, etc... it would be better to
> say you have implemented part of 'old' API 0.5.

I have implemented API0.5 + XAPI. User management and GPX was on the
todo. If I implement user management I'll implement an OpenStreetProxy,
for now I don't even keep changes (for reasons I already mentioned).

Stefan