[OSM-dev] Lean and mean Tile- and XML-API-Server

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:15:12 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de>
>> wrote:

>>> A premature optimisation would be starting with integers, C, and more.
>>
>> premature optimisation would be writing something in C(++) when it
>> isn't the bottleneck.
>
> I hear a different thing when I browse on this list about ruby memory usage
> :)

ah well, thats the price you pay for being able to easily write code
without having to manage memory manually (or stick shared_ptr<> all
over the place). there is a bug in there too, i think, which results
in libxml not fully free()ing all the memory it is using.

>> the database is currently the bottleneck and i'm pretty sure they
>> already wrote that in C :-)
>
> The database that is used in production isn't the most efficient one too ;)
> So that is also optimised ;)

how did you optimise it? (other than converting ways to relations)?

> Double: 50~100ms
> Integer: 40~80ms
>
> But the calltrace revealed in both search situation more optimisations where
> possible.

20% is pretty significant. obviously thats an optimisation worth having.

cheers,

matt