[OSM-dev] Duplicated nodes in Potlatch

Till Harbaum / Lists lists at harbaum.org
Sun Oct 5 21:34:47 BST 2008

Hi,

this thread is really valuable for me as someone who writes an
osm editor. With respect to overwriting the "created_by" entry,
i was just copying potlatchs behaviour. So: What's the preferred
behaviour? Overwriting imho doesn't make much sense. But since
osm2go is in an early development change i thought it makes
much sense to be able to leave  fingerprint of my tool, so that in
case of major trouble caused by a stupid bug in my tool there's
a chance to find where my tool has done harm.

Why is this something the application does, anyway? The issue
is mho very similar to the user assignment which is entirely done
on server side. Since the clients all identify tjhemselves in their
upload why doesn't the server also handle this?

The created_by is like the user a technical thing and
not really information related to the physical objects described. So
i never really understood why this is a tag and not an entirely different
thing like the user is.

Till