[OSM-dev] way 7062297, is this new?

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Thu Oct 9 07:34:37 BST 2008

On Thursday 09 October 2008 16:06:39 Andy Allan wrote:

(I think Grant said this bit, it's lost its context)
> >> Allowed via the 0.5 API currently: Yes.
> >> Supported by any of the editors: No (AFAIK)

I could swear I explicitly read endorsement of duplicate keys on the
documentation somewhere, but as usal I've lost it ;~)

Spurred on by this, I tried it in Merkaartor. The UI accepted my input and I
assumed all was good. I just remembered to follow this up and it appears the
data didn't make it. Possibly the last occurrence of the tag in the app was
the one that got submitted.

I don't think last time I tried Potlatch the interface would let me do it at
all.

> >> On a hunch, don't expect the 0.6 API to support duplicates.
> >

> Until duplicate keys are prohibited by the API (as Grant
> suggests, likely in 0.6), then your system will just need to cope.

Can we talk about why they should be banned? It's a perfectly valid metadata
construct to have multiple values for a property (key) for a single object.

Alright, you want examples?

1) The one I mentioned above is a main street and also a highway. I has two
names. (Don't ask me what the renderers do with that, it's not the issue.)
Someone has told me that maybe there's a tag for local or other alternate
names. I still think it's possible to have two names.

2) I'm listing lots of a) features and b) routes served on bus stops. So I
might say that the bus stop has, for simplicity, feature=bin and
feature=seat. I might say it serves route=123 and route=456. I think someone
will suggest I delimit my values. I could do that, but we should be producing
XML that is easy to use with DOM or XPath alone. Using delimiters adds extra
parsing work on top. Why do you want that in an API?

3) I'm sure there are others. There's always others. The world is complex.

Cheers