[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql patch mode very slow.

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:02:32 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Grant Slater wrote:
>
>>> What are the postgres version requirements for patch mode?
>>
>>> = postgresql 8.2 with GIST and GIN index support compiled in.
>
> Unfortunately I'm seeing the same problem after upgrading to
> the postgresql-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5 package.  The initial import of the
> planet goes ok with no errors, but it just hangs when importing the diffs:

does it hang, or does it just take a while? on my opteron server here
it takes about 50 minutes to import a daily diff and 5-10 minutes to
import an hourly diff. no progress is output, unlike the initial
import, until it is done.

i'm running with the following package versions
postgresql 8.3.3
postgresql-postgis 1.3.3-1
postgresql-contrib 8.3.3

and the trunk version of osm2pgsql. i have had to heavily tweak my
postgres config (as described on the wiki) and the import is almost
entirely disk-bound, even with 16Gb memory. if you have a slower disk
(such as on a laptop) then you could find updates take a long, long
time :-)

> The load average is 1, but nothing seems to be using much CPU so I guess
> it's all I/O bound.  ps shows a number of postgres processes doing stuff:

what does iostat say? (more importantly, what does `iostat 30` say if
you leave it 5 mins?)

cheers,

matt