[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql patch mode very slow.

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Oct 10 13:20:54 BST 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Matt Amos wrote:

> does it hang, or does it just take a while?

Well, strictly speaking I would probably say it takes a while, rather than
actually hanging, since the CPU time used by the postgres process running
the UPDATE is incrementing.  But "a while" is well over a day, so it may
as well be hung. :)  (I haven't seen it complete the daily patch yet, and
I started it going yesterday morning).

> i'm running with the following package versions
> postgresql 8.3.3
> postgresql-postgis 1.3.3-1
> postgresql-contrib 8.3.3

I have:

compat-postgresql-libs-4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-plperl-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
compat-postgresql-libs-debuginfo-4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-test-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
compat-postgresql-libs-debuginfo-4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-devel-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-pltcl-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-libs-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
compat-postgresql-libs-4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-debuginfo-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-plpython-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-contrib-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-server-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgresql-docs-8.3.4-1PGDG.rhel5
postgis-1.3.2-1.rf

> what does iostat say? (more importantly, what does `iostat 30` say if
> you leave it 5 mins?)

http://www.nexusuk.org/~steve/stat.txt

It is running under Xen...  I wonder how badly that makes the disk
performance suck...

  - Steve