[OSM-dev] 0.6 API hack-a-thon Date

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Oct 15 23:35:52 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Shaun McDonald
<shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2008, at 10:18, Brett Henderson wrote:
>
>  Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> [..]
>>>
>>> Ideally we need to have all the main editors and osm tools ready for the
>>> 0.6 API transition by the time the 0.6 API goes live in November. As things
>>> currently stand, you can use JOSM, with a clean checkout of the api06
>>> branch.
>>>
>> Is there any test osm data in 0.6 format available?  Or do you have to
>> migrate a 0.5 database to 0.6?  I should knock over the remaining osmosis
>> changes to support 0.6.  Everything is done except for the the mysql tasks
>> which are arguably the most important because they're used for changesets.
>>

> The migrations are one of the things that need to be tested, they currently
> work on an empty database. They also need to be updated for duplicate keys
> in the tags of nodes, ways and relations.
>
> It would be excellent to have someone test the migration (especially if
> they have history data). Also documenting the process of upgrading a
> database from 0.5 to 0.6 when using osmosis.

Okay, so it sounds like the short answer is that there's no upgrading an
already populated database so no easy way of building a db with 0.6 data.

I'll get a 0.6 db and rails up and running locally and load some data via
the API (using JOSM and/or Potlatch) to make sure the db is populated
correctly.  I'll then get osmosis running against it and make sure it aligns
with API behaviour.  I don't know how long that will take me yet but
hopefully not more than a week or so.  I won't promise to test migration at
this point, I may have my hands full with osmosis and changeset support.  On
the history data aspect, I don't have history data though but it may be
possible to get a small amount of history in a 0.5 db by using osmosis to
apply changesets to a mysql db for a few days.

> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/planet.osm/perl/planetosm-to-db.pl will
> also need to be updated to 0.6, would anyone like to update the script?

Is this script still used much?  I was hoping I'd eliminated the need for it
but I guess people still like the simplicity of a perl script.