[OSM-dev] 0.6 API hack-a-thon Date

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Thu Oct 16 08:07:07 BST 2008

On 15 Oct 2008, at 23:35, Brett Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
> > wrote:
>
> On 14 Oct 2008, at 10:18, Brett Henderson wrote:
>
> Shaun McDonald wrote:
> [..]
>

> Ideally we need to have all the main editors and osm tools ready for
> the 0.6 API transition by the time the 0.6 API goes live in
> November. As things currently stand, you can use JOSM, with a clean
> checkout of the api06 branch.
> Is there any test osm data in 0.6 format available?  Or do you have
> to migrate a 0.5 database to 0.6?  I should knock over the remaining
> osmosis changes to support 0.6.  Everything is done except for the
> the mysql tasks which are arguably the most important because
> they're used for changesets.
>

> The migrations are one of the things that need to be tested, they
> currently work on an empty database. They also need to be updated
> for duplicate keys in the tags of nodes, ways and relations.
>
> It would be excellent to have someone test the migration (especially
> if they have history data). Also documenting the process of
> upgrading a database from 0.5 to 0.6 when using osmosis.
>
> Okay, so it sounds like the short answer is that there's no
> upgrading an already populated database so no easy way of building a
> db with 0.6 data.

The migrations should work, though it is known that they break when
there is duplicate keys in the tags of a particular node/way/relation.

> I'll get a 0.6 db and rails up and running locally and load some
> data via the API (using JOSM and/or Potlatch)

JOSM is the only option at the moment as Potlatch and Merkator haven't
been upgraded to 0.6 yet.
I have added a section on the wiki about how to use JOSM for API 0.6
testing.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.6#Using_JOSM_for_testing_the_API

> to make sure the db is populated correctly.  I'll then get osmosis
> running against it and make sure it aligns with API behaviour.  I
> don't know how long that will take me yet but hopefully not more
> than a week or so.  I won't promise to test migration at this point,
> I may have my hands full with osmosis and changeset support.  On the
> history data aspect, I don't have history data though but it may be
> possible to get a small amount of history in a 0.5 db by using
> osmosis to apply changesets to a mysql db for a few days.

Am I right in thinking that when you import the planet [extract] into
mysql using osmosis it will populate the history tables for you, and
with each changeset, will add to the history, updating the current
tables? I've not yet had a need to use osmosis.

> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/planet.osm/perl/planetosm-to-db.pl
>  will also need to be updated to 0.6, would anyone like to update
> the script?
>
> Is this script still used much?  I was hoping I'd eliminated the
> need for it but I guess people still like the simplicity of a perl
> script.

Gah, seems I misread the Planet.osm wiki page, when I was looking for
a tool to load the data in the database.

Shaun