[OSM-dev] Mapnik not rendering streets, route names, city names...

Kevin M. athlon02 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 13:59:46 BST 2008

I'm new to rendering with mapnik.  I tried following the Mapnik wiki page on OSM, but I'm having a problem...

I have a August 2008 planet.osm.bz2
file loaded into a postgresql db with postgis installed.  I also have
the world_boundaries, processed_p, and files from svn for osm2pgsql and generate_*.py (including osm-template.xml) files.  I set a bbox in
generate_tiles.py for the Austin, TX area and ran it.  It generates the
tiles, but all I see at higher zooms (5-6) is the Texas coastline and
at lower zooms (9-11) I see what appear to be county lines.  However,
that's all I see.  I don't see highways, smaller streets, names of
streets, cities, towns, etc.  Just as a sanity check, I opened psql and
queried planet_osm_point for known cities, highways, etc. and found
rows with those entries.

So, my question is: what am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin