[OSM-dev] Rails api06 branch updated to Rails 2.1.2

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Oct 29 10:15:57 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have been upgrading the functional tests to the newer Rails 2 way of
doing the tests, which reduces the amount of duplicate code in the
tests. In doing this I have come across a bug in Rails 2.0.2, whereby
the setup method isn't called when expected. This has been fixed in
later versions of Rails.

I have therefore looked into upgrading rails to the latest version of
rails, which is currently 2.1.2. There is minimal changes required. In
doing so I will  bring the last 3 externals into the osmsvn, as they
will probably eventually disappear with the majority of rails being
moved from svn to git, and are unlikely to be updated in svn. It will
also make it faster to get updates. File_column needs to be updated
slightly for Rails 2.1.2.

I will also be updating the various config files to the newer Rails
2.1 format, so that you will be able to do sudo rake gems:install and
all the gems that you need will be installed. rake gems will tell you
which gems are required and whether they are installed.

You will need to make sure that you have gem 1.2 or later. Please also
be warned that you will need to update your gems using sudo gem
update. It should also be noted that Rails 2.1 introduced a change in
the way migrations and their version numbers are handled.

Shaun