[OSM-dev] Rails api06 branch updated to Rails 2.1.2

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Oct 29 10:54:58 GMT 2008

Shaun McDonald wrote:

> I have therefore looked into upgrading rails to the latest version of
> rails, which is currently 2.1.2. There is minimal changes required. In
> doing so I will  bring the last 3 externals into the osmsvn, as they
> will probably eventually disappear with the majority of rails being
> moved from svn to git, and are unlikely to be updated in svn. It will
> also make it faster to get updates. File_column needs to be updated
> slightly for Rails 2.1.2.

When I tried moving to 2.1 before there were significant problems which
led me to abandon the attempt - have you verified that there are no such
problems now?

Unfortunately it was a while ago and I can't remember exactly what the
problems were, though I think they may have been related to the fact
that we have some models without primary keys. Maybe the other changes
in 0.6 mean those have gone away though?

BTW most of our plugins don't come from the main rails repository, so
the move of that from svn to git shouldn't be relevant. Right now you've
actually left the repo in a broken state with this change as you've
committed the plugins but not removed the external definitions so svn
update is trying to put two things in the same place.

> I will also be updating the various config files to the newer Rails 2.1
> format, so that you will be able to do sudo rake gems:install and all
> the gems that you need will be installed. rake gems will tell you which
> gems are required and whether they are installed.
>
> You will need to make sure that you have gem 1.2 or later. Please also
> be warned that you will need to update your gems using sudo gem update.
> It should also be noted that Rails 2.1 introduced a change in the way
> migrations and their version numbers are handled.

That is optional though, and I suggest we don't use it as it will be
very confusing to have a mixture. Not to mention that the ability to
cherry pick updates in the 2.1.x scheme scares me witless.

Oh, and to answer your question in libxml.rb, yes the error handler is
needed or libxml writes out of memory errors to the standard output and
exits uncleanly I believe. Believe it or not I didn't write the handler
for my own amusement.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)