[OSM-dev] Ways with 40k nodes, was: osmosis pgsql schema

Fri Oct 31 11:15:59 GMT 2008

Dave Stubbs wrote:

> I'm all for an API hard limit of 1000 nodes in a way. That wouldn't
> impact any normal stuff, but would put a stop to megaways pretty
> quickly without the need for a re-education programme :-)

+1.

I've been thinking of disabling access to ways of >1000 nodes in
Potlatch anyway (see http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1274), it'd
be great if people couldn't create them in the first place.

Recently some poor chap spent ages tracing out a lake, a well-meaning
but misguided mapper came along and combined all his ways into one
big one (17,000 nodes - ffs), and one bunch of timeouts later, the
way ended up utterly b0rked:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/katpatuka/diary/3589#comments

cheers
Richard