[OSM-dev] Ways with 40k nodes, was: osmosis pgsql schema

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 31 14:45:43 GMT 2008

Hi,

Dave Stubbs wrote:
> I'm all for an API hard limit of 1000 nodes in a way. That wouldn't
> impact any normal stuff, but would put a stop to megaways pretty
> quickly without the need for a re-education programme :-)

Fine with me.

I think this can (and should) be worked on at different levels.

1. Fix all ways with more than a few thousand nodes; repeat checks
regularly. Timeframe: can be done tonight.

2. Start using an "area" relation (or allow multiple interconnected
"outer" parts in the existing "multipolygon" relation) to be able to
model large areas (where the circumference has more nodes than the node
limit and thus must be split). Requires a (relatively minor, I guess)
modification to osm2pgsql/osmarender, and to editors which are
area-aware (if unmodified, editors will display these area outline
segments as lines which doesn't hurt). Timeframe: a few days.

3. Build a node limit into the API. Timeframe: could do quickly if
required but could also do it for 0.6.

4. Redesign the whole data model to allow "partial checkouts" of ways
and generally switch over to Stefan de Konik's software which is better
in any respect anyway (although I haven't yet understood the big
difference between checking out part of a way and checking out a whole
way that is part of a grouping relation). Timeframe: Maybe sometime.

Bye
Frederik