[OSM-dev] What country is something in?

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Fri Oct 31 17:53:02 GMT 2008

> That's why it was so surprising to see the imported USA and California
> borders in OSM running along the beach - surely we want to move them
> out to sea?

It's just additional data. So a user with sound knowledge of the U.S. border
regulation might simply correct or delete the robot generated sea border.

Still, the coastline contains way more nodes than any other kind of
borderline. So using only the beach as border would fill up a program working
with boundary data with about 70 times more data than the solution with a
generated sea boundary.

> Currently the borders are marked with the 2 countries - do we need to
> allow "region:left=international" if it's a border with the ocean
> instead of another country?

From my point of view, these tags in the individual ways aren't anyway a good
idea, as they are more difficult to maintain consistent and complete than a
relation would be.

Beside that, I have no idea whether it is useful to have a relation collecting
all the ways that are boundary of the open sea.

Cheers,
Roland