[OSM-dev] Garmin GPX madness

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at gmx.de
Sun Sep 21 18:25:46 BST 2008

> OK, I understand now. But I still don't know what I'd do with the
> information if I had it. The satellites are where they are when I'm out
> surveying, there's nothing I can do about the positional accuracy. It's
> usually pretty obvious when a track has gone wildly off (usually due to
> woodland cover or urban canyons), and I'm still generally going to use
> the track otherwise.

If you have all information and points recorded with a fixed sample rate you
can apply algorithms to  minimize the error. But with the shit recorded by
Garmin you can't do anything. It's spoiled data you have to take as is. Most
users try to overcome this shortcoming by simply moving the points to the
location they think it should be. But that is spoofing data the worst way.

Oliver